Friday, April 17, 2009

Where commitment hits the concrete

My son called tonight to say that his bone marrow donation offer has a match. All the tests say that its a go. Further, his donation will not be the less evasive blood transfusion but the surgery type. My son is 25, he is in his second year of law school at the University of Iowa, he is married, and they wouldn't mind if his wife became pregnant.

For years, I have advocated for organ donation and for programs just like this one. Still when he called to ask if I'd come over for the surgery, my heart raced, my fears charged to the surface. This wasn't helped when I couldn't immediately find someone who could answer all my questions and concerns.

It wasn't until sometime later, I reminded myself that the risk is not that great and that someone and their family is thanking God that a donor had been located. My own prayers are that my son will be safe, that he won't be exposed to an infection while in surgery, that nothing will go wrong in that surgery, that the hospital won't make a foolish mistake, and the list went on.

God can find amusement in that, I suppose. We are always at risk in this life, but without risk others would find no answer to their prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment